Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Stephan C DeBruhl letter to his brother William DeBruhl Jan 11 1858


                                                            Abbeville
                                                                                                Jan 11, 1858

Brother William
I was very much gratified by the receipt of your letter of December, 25 and pleased to hear that you anticipated a Merry Christmas.  I hope that all your pleasant anticipation were more than realized and that you found Miss Herman both pretty and agreeable.
I would have answered your letter immediately but was so much engaged enjoying myself that I really had not time.  We had the merriest  Christmas that I have ever spent.  I will give you an account if it & let you judge for yourself.  In the first place Alex Weir invited some six or seven young ladies from Pendleton & Anderson to spend Christmas holiday at his house, all of whom came down; as of course such an I influx pretty young ladies created quite an excitement in our usually quiet town.
These ladies having arrived On Monday before Christmas, Weir, gave then a party the next night (Tuesday).  At said party I was glad to see our friends, Don Mc Laughlin who came up to see about forming a partnership with Dave Gordon, in the Drug Store.  I do not know what was the result of his visit.  The next night (Wednesday) there was a very pleasant party at Mrs. White’s at which Don was also present.
The next Thursday night there was a hot supper given by the ladies of the Episcopal Church.  On Friday night a party at Mrs Miller’s which I did not attend, having been invited to another in the county before her invitations were sent out.  On Friday morning, Dolph Williams and myself started for Ros Tatum’s to attend an affair at Capt Portlow’s about half a mile from Tatum’s, John Portlow, whom I expect you recollect having seen at Tatum’s when we were there, having married the night before.  We arrived at Tatum’s about fifteen minutes after four, having driven over about as muddy roads as you can and found him & five other young men disposed as follows, two in bed, one on the lounge & the other three over a pitcher of delicious punch which you may well suppose was very refreshing to we way worn travelers.  
Having incorporated ourselves with a few glasses of the fragrant beverage rested awhile, we put ourselves in readiness for the party.  On our arrival at the party we found quite a number of the bright eyed rose cheeked lasses of the country interspersed with a few jewels from Georgia. Having passed the evening in conversation, music & dancing we broke up at a late hour every seeming much pleased.  Our party reached Tatum’s again between 1 & 2 o’clock when we again called the pitcher into requisition & soon had ½ gallon of steaming, fragrant care dispelling punch to which I assume you (if assurance be needed) we did ample justice.  Having restore the waste caused by the exertions at the party we all retired at an early hour (5 ½ o’clock) to our virtuous couches.  We rose the next day bright as larks & went over to Portlow’s for breakfast & after having thoroughly discussed the Turkey hash we adjourned to the parlor for a game of Euchre whist was kept up till we began to feel quite sleepy & thirsty when we again returned to Tatum’s & satisfied thirst, hunger & drowsiness. Sunday we spent very pleasantly in Georgia & started bright & early Monday morning for home in order to be there Monday night to a party given by the young men & of whom we were managers.  After again trapping through the mud all day we arrived at home about sun down.  Having with some difficulty removed the mud from us & put on clean shirts we once more felt right side up & proceeded to the Marshall House when we had one of the finest parties it has ever been my fortune to attend.  The next day I was at a dining party till after sun down & a party again at night which wound up my Christmas festivities & as you may imagine pretty nearly wound me up.  I am very sorry that I will be unable to come to Brunswick during the “Grand Regattas” as I will be as busy as bee until May.  Fraser Livingston marries the day after tomorrow so that he will alas be unable to come.  He marries Miss Fannie McCain.  Bill is worse off than either of us being over head & ears in love & I think will only get out by a kick.  He is after Miss Clara Kilpatrick & is now I think gone to Pendleton.  Jim Martin marries Miss Abrams on the 26th this month.  Eph Power was to have been married tomorrow morning to Miss Kate Giles but the Old Squire has “over sot the whole affair”.  It seems that the Squire objected at first but finally gave his consent (being told by his daughter that she was determined to marry him), to their marriage but would not give them a party.  The consequently determined to marry tomorrow morning & proceed immediately to Cokesbury where his mother was to give them a party.  The arrangements were all made accordingly, the party in course of preparation, invitations went out & when alas the Old Squire calls the whole family together, Sons & sons-in-law, daughters & daughters-in-law to consult upon the matter the result of whose deliberations were that it could not be, Poor Eph I am sorry for him but he has the consolation that he not the only man who has been treated in that way.  I believe I have given you all the news afloat about our muddy town.
We are all well at present & have been so except myself.  I was quite sick the week before Christmas with fever & have been suffering very much for a week past with a large boil on my neck produced by a blister which the Dr. applied when I was sick.  It has got a great deal better but not entirely well yet.  I wish you would write to Wallace about the hire of Lewis for the two months that he was with Drummond.  It would be very acceptable at this time when money is as scarce as hen’s teeth.
Col Marshall made a final settlement of father’s personal Estate on Friday least.  It resulted better than he anticipated having amounted to a thousand dollars more than he expected.  The share of each distributer is $2,067.10 hence there is to you deducting your note & interest ($1552.68) which amounts (514.42).  We had a very heavy rain last night which continued with some abatement nearly all the but the sun has at least come forth & is now shining quite warmly,  too much so I am afraid to keep clear.  Write soon & tell me how you enjoyed your Christmas visit.

Yours truly

Stephen C. DeBruhl

No comments: