Wednesday, March 20, 2019

J Foster Marshall letter to Capt Wm Barkuloo July 7, 1859


                                                                                                Abbeville, C. H., SC
                                                                                                7th July, 1859

Capt Wm Barkuloo,
Dear Sir,
Stephen informed my yesterday that you desired me to send you out the balance due to you as guardian of your son from the Estate of Sc. DeBruhl.
It will be out of my power to do so for some time to come as it is now a season when we planters never have any money.  I may come across some one who may have some money to loan, and in that event I will cheerfully avail myself of the means to furnish you with the balance.
I had made no preparation to meet this balance, supposing you intended to draw on me as you have done hereto before for William’s support; but as I have above said, I will avail myself of first chance to raise the funds and send it to you. Little Susan has gone up to Williamston for her health which is some better than it has been.
Aunt Susan is not well, and I fear her disease is a deep seated one, which no physician can cure.  Stephen’s habits of late have distressed her and Susan very much and I fear will be the cause of both their deaths if he does not learn this place.  If you can do anything to get him out where you are, or to Florida you will confer a lasting blessing on his family.  I a going to make one more effort with him; and if I fail, I am done with him until he reforms.  This is not the place for him/ His association must be broken up or he is a lost man.  What I have written is in confidence.
Respectfully yours,

J. Foster Marshall

Answered Sept 5, 1859

No comments: