Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Letter from Stephen C DeBruhl to Brother William DeBruhl July 8, 1858


                                                            Abbeville, SC
                                                                                                July 8, 1858

Brother William
I received yours of the 2nd the day before yesterday and would have answered yesterday had not Parker been out of town.
I have just seen him and got the desired information.  He says he paid you six hundred and sixty 91/100 Dollars ($664.91) on the 4th August 1857.  You are mistaken as to my owing you a letter.  I wrote to you some months ago and have never heard from you until now.  I expected to meet you in Columbia on the 4th May at the Quitman calibration but was disappointed.  I was down applying for Equity and was admitted without difficulty.  By the by I am rising in the world, I now boast the title of Major in the Abbeville squadron of Calvary having been elected last Friday.  My friends however came nearer having to having bury one than vote for one in that day.  I was practicing for our tilt (which came off on Friday) on Thursday evening and the horse I was riding ran against the post which held the head for us at striking me full against it & consequently knocking me off.  My sword, I think, stuck my chin cutting it very severely and also tow of my fingers.  The blow came very near dislocating my jaw bone which is still quite sore.  My hip was also badly bruised.  I have not been able to eat anything except hominy & such soft things as do not require chewing until a day or two past.  I am now getting better tough.  I suffer a good deal still.  The rest of the family are all well.  Willie is getting on finely.  Col Marshall’s family are all well at present.  Cousins Mary came up yesterday and is looking I think as well as I have seen her for a number of years. 
I wish you could get off for a while and come spend some time with us as we are all very anxious to see you.  Don Mc Laughlin is established here in the Drug business with Dr. Gordon.  They are doing a very fine business.  The remainder of the town is pretty much as you left it with the exception of Bob White who ‘tis said intends talking to himself a wife in the person of Miss Sallie Belcher. 
I believe that our dull town affords nothing that will interest you especially as it is now if possible more so than usual.  Write to us soon & often.  All send their love.
Yours truly,

Stephen C DeBruhl

No comments: