Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lewis Palmer's Farewell to his Bible 1870

Lewis Palmer's farewell to his Bible 1870 in the National Archives Washington, D.C.

Farewell to this world with your sorrow and cares, your words now recede from my view, I have traveled your worlds, lo these eighty odd years, And now I must bid you adieu. Farewell to my Bible, your precepts I prize,
No more your bright pages I read,

You have guided my footsteps like the stars in the night; Farewell, thou blest volume, farewell.

Lewis Palmer was first trustee of Mars Hill College. And is credited with naming the college. Taking the name from the Book of Acts. Chapter 17 Verse 22.

"Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars Hill and said, ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious".


He was the son of Edmund Palmer one of the first settlers in Madison County.
A Revolutionary War soldier.

Edmund Palmer birth 1747 Wife Mary Brittain birth 1749

Lewis Palmer birth 1791 Wife Polly Roberts 1793 ?

John Washington Chambers 1801 Wife Thirzah Palmer 1815

Elisha Reese 1834 Margaret Wife Serena Chambers 1842

William Leroi DeBruhl 1870 Wife Levasta Reese 1878

Arthur Marvin DeBruhl 1897 Wife Janie Wright 1900





No comments: