Monday, May 26, 2008

Patience Stevens DeBruhl buys a slave named Ned.

South Carolina Kershaw District
Know all men by these presents that I Richard Hunley Of Kershaw District of the State aforesaid for and in consideration of the sum of Five Hundred Dollar lawfull money of the said account to me paid by Patience DeBruhl of the District and State aforesaid a
Purchaser, the uses whereof, I hereby acknowledge, I have bargained sold and delivered and by these presents do bargain sell and deliver to the said Patience DeBruhl a certain Male Slave known by the name of Ned. Of the age of unknown years.
To Have and to Hold the said male Slave to her the said Patience DeBruhl her Executors,Administrators, and Assigns forever. And I the said Richard Hunley of the said Male Slave to the said Patience DeBruhl her Executors, Administrators, and Assigns against me my Executors Administrators and Assigns the same shall be known by these presents, forever warrant, to defend the said Patience DeBruhl in Witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 19th Day of December in the year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Four and in the Twenty Ninth year of the Sovreignty and Independence of the United States of America. Richard Hunley,Signed sealed and delivered in the presence of Edward Davis District Master
Received of the within named Patience DeBruhl this day and hour within mentioned the sum of Five Hundred Dollars law full money of the said State being the consideration money with mentioned in full in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand

Richard Hunley

Witness Edward David
David Minton

South Carolina Kershaw District Personally appeared David Minton who being duly sworn maketh oath that he was present and saw Ricard Hunley Sign, Seal and as his act and deed deliver the written instrument of writing to the within named Patience DeBruhl
for the uses and purposes within mentioned and that he together with Edward Davis signed their names as witnesses to the due execution thereof.

Sworn this 10th day of April 1805
Before me James Kershaw. Justice of the Peace for the District.

No comments: